It goes without saying, not all dogs are created equal. They come in all shapes, sizes, color, and even hair length. And with more than 300 dog breeds in the world, there are those that have become big favorites among many dog enthusiasts. In the UK, there are definitely breeds that are more popular than others.
We have compiled a list of the top popular breeds in the UK for the year 2020 (because yes, the list changes each year). So, mirror, mirror, who are the most famous of them all? Let’s find out.
- Labradors – Based on a research recently conducted, the data shows that 12% of dog owners in the UK have a Lab, getting them to the top spot of the list. Why are they big favorites? Well, Labradors (or Labrador Retrievers) are as hardworking as their ancestors. Today’s modern labs can work as retrievers for hunters, assistance dogs, and even as search-and-rescue dogs, among other canine jobs. Looking to own a dog? A Labrador is one of your best bets.
- Cockapoos – Their name is derived from their being a crossbreed between a Cocker Spaniel and a Miniature Poodle (hence, the name). It comes in second to Labs on the list, having an 8% ownership in the UK. Cockapoos are adorable, small dogs and are considered ‘designer dogs’ dating back to the 1960s.
- Springer Spaniels – Coming in at the third spot are this breed of gun dogs in the Spaniel family. Why do people love them? Aside from being affectionate, they’re also athletic and versatile. They’re also gregarious and quite easy to please, making them great family dogs, hence their UK-wide popularity.
- Cocker Spaniel – Just like its namesake above, these pooches are good-natured animals, which makes them beloved companion dogs. But it’s not just their cute looks and pleasing personality that make them popular. They’re also highly trainable and adaptable. They’re quite active, too, so if you want to own one, make sure you have the energy to keep up with them.
- Jack Russell – Grabbing the 5th spot is the Jack Russell (or Jack Russell Terrier), a breed that is principally white-bodied with smooth, rough, or broken-coated. Also known as Parson Russell Terrier, these dogs are lively, independent, and clever. They’re also charming and, like some of the breeds above, affectionate. With all these qualities, it’s no big wonder they’re one of the most popular breeds in the United Kingdom.
Other breeds that made it on the Top Ten list are the German Shepherd (#6), Border Collie (#7), Border Terrier (#8), Lurcher (#9), and West Highland White Terrier (#10).
What’s your favorite dog on the Top Ten list? Is your dog breed on it?