We humans have holidays throughout each year. Our furry friends have their own, too. From Travel Safety Day to Doggie Date Night, each month of the year actually has special days for our best friends. What does this mean for you as a dog owner? It means doing something special for your Fido to make him feel loved and to thank him for his unwavering loyalty.
Here’s a handy calendar to have so you know what to give your pet at certain times of the year.
- National Train Your Dog Month
- Walk Your Pet Month.
- Adopt a Rescued Bird Month
- Jan. 2: National Pet Travel Safety Day
- Jan. 14: National Dress Up Your Pet Day
- Jan. 23: World Spay Day
- Jan. 24: Change a Pet’s Life Day
- Jan. 29: Seeing Eye Guide Dog Anniversary
- Beat the Heat Month
- Dog Training Education Month
- Spay/Neuter Awareness Month (Humane Society of the United States)
- Pet Dental Health Month
- Responsible Pet Owners Month
- National Prevent a Litter Month
- Unchain a Dog Month
- Feb. 7-14: Have a Heart for Chained Dogs Week
- Feb. 10-11: Westminster Kennel Club Annual Dog Show – Held at New York City’s Madison Square Garden, this event is televised. Each breed has an associated rescue group
- Feb. 23-29: National Justice for Animals Week.
- Feb. 3: Doggie Date Night
- Feb. 3: National Golden Retriever Day
- Feb. 14: Pet Theft Awareness Day
- Feb. 20: Love Your Pet Day
- Feb. 22: Walking the Dog Day
- Feb. 23: International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day
- Feb. 23: National Dog Biscuit Day
- Feb. 25: World Spay Day
- Feb. 25: Spay Day USA
- Poison Prevention Awareness Month
- March 2-9: Professional Pet Sitters Week
- March 5-8: Crufts – Held in Birmingham, England, this is the world’s largest dog show, featuring nearly 28,000 canines in its four days.
- March 15-21: National Poison Prevention Week
- March 3: If Pets Had Thumbs Day
- March 13: K-9 Veterans Day
- March 23: National Puppy Day
- March 30. Take a Walk in the Park Day – Although this is not exclusively a pet holiday, this day would be a great time to explore a new park with your furry friend!
- Canine Fitness Month
- Active Dog Month
- National Adopt a Greyhound Month
- National Heartworm Awareness Month
- National Pet First Aid Awareness Month – This event is an effort by the American Red Cross to draw attention to the need to know specialized pet first aid.
- Prevent Lyme Disease in Dogs Month
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month – ASCPA
- National Pet Month (UK)
- April 1-7: International Pooper Scooper Week
- April 1-7: National Raw Feeding Week
- April 12-18: Animal Care and Control Appreciation Week – 2nd full week in April
- April 12-18: National Dog Bite Prevention Week – 2nd full week in April
- April 19-25: Animal Cruelty/Human Violence Awareness Week – An effort by the Humane Society of the United States. Third week in April.
- April 19-25: National Pet ID Week – Third week in April
- April 24-30: National Scoop the Poop Week
- April 4: Every Day is Tag Day – always the first Saturday in April
- April 8: National Dog Fighting Awareness Day
- April 10: National Hug Your Dog Day
- April 11: National Pet Day
- April 11: Dog Therapy Appreciation Day
- April 21: Bulldogs are Beautiful Day
- April 23: National Lost Dog Awareness Day
- April 24: Hairball Awareness Day – last Friday in April
- April 25: World Veterinary Day – This event from the World Veterinary Association is always celebrated on the last Saturday in April.
- April 26: National Kids and Pets Day
- April 26: National Pet Parents Day – always the last Sunday in April
- April 27: National Little Pampered Dog Day
- April 29: International Guide Dog Day – always the last Wednesday in April
- April 30: Adopt a Shelter Pet Day
- April 30: National Therapy Animal Day
- April 30: National Tabby Day
- National Pet Month (US)
- National Foster Care Month
- Responsible Animal Guardian Month
- Lyme Disease Prevention Month
- Pet Cancer Awareness Month – Sponsored by Pet Cancer Awareness and the Blue Buffalo Foundation for Cancer Research
- Chip Your Pet Month
- National Service Animal Eye Exam – The American College of Veterinary Optholmologists hosts this annual event when over 300 veterinary ophthalmologists donate their services to provide eye exams to service dogs in the US and Canada during the month of May.
- May 3-9: American Humane’s Be Kind to Animals Week – This week-long event has been celebrated since 1915. Always the first full week of May.
- May 3-9: Dog Anxiety Awareness Week – Founded by Assisi Animal Health
- May 3-9: National Pet Week – Always held the first full week of May by the American Veterinary Medical Association
- May 4-10: Puppy Mill Action Week – An initiative of the HSUS, this week is always scheduled to begin the Monday before Mother’s Day
- May 1: National Purebred Dog Day
- May 3: National Specially-Abled Pets Day
- May 3: Mayday for Mutts – First Sunday in May
- May 3: International Doodle Dog Day
- May 9: National Animal Disaster Preparedness Day
- May 10: National Dog Mom’s Day – Second Saturday in May
- May 14: International Chihuahua Appreciation Day
- May 20: National Rescue Dog Day
- National Foster a Pet Month – new from the Petco Foundation
- National Pet Preparedness Month
- National Microchipping Month
- June 7-13: Pet Appreciation Week – first week in June
- Mid-June: Animal Rights Awareness Week
- June 22-26: Take Your Pet to Work Week
- June 8: Best Friends Day
- June 9: World Pet Memorial Day – second Tuesday in June
- June 21: National Dog Party Day
- June 26: Take Your Dog to Work Day
- National Lost Pet Prevention Month
- National Pet Hydration Awareness Month
- Dog House Repair Month
- July 27-Aug 3: National Feed a Rescue Pet Week – launched in 2017, this holiday by GreaterGood.org and The Animal Rescue Site aims to feed shelter pets
- July 1: ID Your Pet Day
- July 11: All-American Pet Photo Day
- July 15: National Pet Fire Safety Day – Sponsored by the The National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC), ADT Security Services and the American Kennel Club (AKC)
- July 21: National Craft for your Local Shelters Day
- July 21: No Pet Store Puppies Day
- July 26: National Dog Photography Day (UK holiday)
- July 31: National Mutt Day
- Rawgust – celebration of raw feeding for pets for the month of August
- Aug. 2-8: International Assistance Dog Week
- Aug. 2-8: Give a Dog a Bone Week – Hosted by Pets of the Homeless, the event features more than 400 Pets of the Homeless donation sites nationwide asking their community to bring donations of pet food and supplies to assist the pets of the homeless
- Aug. 1: DOGust Universal Birthday for Shelter Dogs – The North Shore Animal League America, the world’s largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization, declared August 1 as a birthday for all the shelter animals whose birthdays are unknown. Happy DOGust
- Aug. 5: Work Like a Dog Day
- Aug. 10: Spoil Your Dog Day
- Aug. 10: National Lazy Day
- Aug. 15: National Check the Chip Day – AVMA and the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) joined together to create “Check the Chip Day”
- Aug. 16: Saint Roch’s Day
- Aug. 16: International Homeless Animals’ Day
- Aug. 26: National Dog
- Aug. 28: Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day
- Aug. 30: National Holistic Pet Day
- National Service Dog Month
- National Pet Insurance Month
- Responsible Dog Ownership Month
- Pet Sitter Education Month
- Animal Pain Awareness Month
- National Disaster Preparedness Month
- Sept. 14-21: Adopt-a-Less-Adoptable-Pet Week – always the third week in September
- Sept. 20-26: National Deaf Dog Awareness Week – last full week in September
- Sept. 20-26: National Dog Week – last full week in September
- Sept. 8: National Dog Walker Appreciation Day – founded in 2016 by Wag!, this day (always Sept.8) recognizes the work of professional dog walkers
- Sept. 13: National Pet Memorial Day – Established by the International Association Of Pet Cemeteries & Crematories (IAOPCC). Second Sunday in September.
- Sept. 13: National Hug Your Hound Day (second Sunday in September)
- Sept. 13: Pet Birth Defect Awareness Day – A day dedicated to the issue of pet birth defects including information on identification, prevention and treatment.
- Sept. 19: Puppy Mill Awareness Day – Third Saturday in September
- Sept. 19: Responsible Dog Ownership Day – Always the third Saturday in September
- Sept. 20: International Doodle Dog Day
- Sept. 23: Dogs in Politics Day (also known as Checkers Day) – Recognizing the dogs of politicians.
- Sept. 24: Remember Me Thursday® Remember Me Thursday® is an international social media awareness day that brings attention to the millions of adoptable pets waiting in shelters and remembers those pets who never got a second chance. Share your rescue pet using #RememberMeThursday.
- Sept. 26: World’s Largest Pet Walk
- Sept. 28: World Rabies Day – sponsored by the Global Alliance for Rabies Control
- Adopt-A-Dog Month – by American Humane Association
- Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month by ASPCA
- National Animal Safety and Protection Month
- National Pet Wellness Month
- National Pit Bull Awareness Month
- 1st Week of October – National Walk Your Dog Week
- 1st Full Week of October – Animal Welfare Week
- Oct. 11-17: National Veterinary Technician Week – Sponsored by the National Association of Veterinary Technicians of America.
- Oct. 1: National Fire Pup Day
- Oct. 1: National Black Dog Day
- Oct. 4: World Animal Day
- Oct. 9: National Pet Obesity Awareness Day
- Oct. 17: National Fetch Day
- TBA: National Pit Bull Awareness Day – Last Saturday in Oct. (unless Halloween falls on the last Saturday, then another date is chosen)
- Oct. 28: Plush Animal Lovers Day
- Adopt a Senior Pet Month – by ASPCA.
- National Pet Awareness Month
- National Senior Pet Month
- Pet Cancer Awareness Month – sponsored by Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) and the Animal Cancer Foundation
- Pet Diabetes Month
- Nov. 1-7: National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week – by The Humane Society of the United States. First full week of November
- Nov. 1: National Cook for Your Pets Day
- Nov. 7: National Canine Lymphoma Awareness Day
- Nov. 17: National Take a Hike Day
- National Dog Show – Always broadcast in the US on Thanksgiving, this event is held at The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, Pennsylvania and is hosted by the Kennel Club of Philadelphia.
- Dec. 2: National Mutt Day
- Dec. 5: Celebrate Shelter Pets Day – Humane Society of the United States
- Dec. 9: International Day of Veterinary Medicine
Print out this calendar or save it on your phone so you can easily check all these holidays for your doggie so you don’t miss out on any of them.
Truth is, all 365 days of the year are special days for our four-legged buddies who are always there for us no matter what. What they give is the very definition of unconditional love, so make sure they feel special every single day of the year.
Have an awesome doggie-bration!